A Not-So-Brief Update

Huh.  It's been since June that I've had time to update this?  Yikes.  How do Gentlemen of Leisure do it?

My life has been its usual mix of mundane craziness that leaves little free time, so now I'm going to make some time for a brief to-do list.

I am still continuing my Legionnaires Omnicommentaries.  I wish I had a scanner I could trust to show you why the next few issues are going to be a slog, but they are (I'll do my best the next time I get actual non-pseudo-emergency time to myself, which is rarer than any commodity).  I plan to do Legionnaires through the Zero Issues (a.k.a. the start of the Archie Legion), along with a few annuals.  Then it's on to something that's at least fun-bad - Howard Mackie's Mutant X!  So many missed opportunities, so much bizarre dialogue... Unlike the waning days of Legionnaires, this one might actually be fun.

I've been trying to get some original stuff written, but my brain keeps going back to something I had hoped to accomplish by now.  Back in high school, I read Leonard Maltin's Of Mice and Magic, which was last revised around the time The Great Mouse Detective had been released.  In the original edition (which was available at my library), he had expressed a desire that this book about theatrical animation would be the first in a series that would also cover TV, independent, & foreign animation; however, by the time the revised edition was released, Mr. Maltin had decided that these other volumes would not be written and expressed hope that someone else would one day write these volumes in his stead.  In my high school naivete, I declared "Challenge Accepted!", having been raised on TV animation & been disgusted with my first animation history book's utterly dismissive attitude towards it, and made writing the definitive history of TV animation a life's goal.

It's a life's goal that I really should've completed by now.

The thing that people don't realize when you talk about "TV animation" is that the simple term covers a vast range of topics.  It would, no doubt, have to be a multi-volume series that would either have to be divided by subject (animated ads, prime time shows, syndicated shows, cable shows, and/or SatAm shows) or maybe by studios (bigger ones like Hanna-Barbera would need more than one volume).  Or even divided by decade, so that wider trends of those eras could be traced.  And me being me, I'd want to do a bit about puppetry & "costume" shows, since they've always felt like a cousin to animation in my mind.  It's a daunting task, and that doesn't even get into the topic of stuff being readily available even with the brass ring of rightsholder cooperation.  So now that I'm old enough to complete it, I'm old enough to realize how damn near impossible it might have been.

Besides, how could my hobbyist self try to compete with real animation historians?  Let's face it, I'm no Jerry Beck.  It probably would wind up being a series with an "editorial history" bend, but I would definitely not be as dismissive towards works/studios I don't care for as much as the book Serious Business was towards, oh, the entire careers of Bill Hanna & Joe Barbera!  That's just disrespectful & unprofessional.  I might not be a Seth McFarlane fan, but I'd still make an effort to see what in his work connects with others instead of one paragraph of insults & then done.

So yeah, I'm realizing that my life dream was really a pipe dream.  But still, I'll try to keep to my review schedule in lieu of this ridiculous nerd endeavor.

UPDATE: Attention reading-comprehension-deficient deleted comment poster - I am not a Baby Boomer.  I am not a fan of Baby Boomers.  Being a fan of media that existed prior to my birth is not an indicator of my age.  Save the rants for Facebook, child.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Girl Obsession: Teeny Tiny Witch Hat Precure

Magical Girl Obsession: KiraKira Mew Mew...er, Precure

Ink and Paint: Thoughts on a Curious Fandom