One Less Reason to be Miserable

So this morning, after much thought to distract myself from Snowpocalypse II: The Snowening, I decided to delete my Livejournal.

All of the Archivals I felt like reposting have more or less been reposted - I re-read a lot of them & find them rather lacking.  All of my personal friends have stopped posting there.  All of the groups I was part of are either inactive or become mockeries of their former selves (PCLJ, I'm looking at you & your decision to mock a 4-year-old for her frankly superior taste in TV).  So it's not like I really had anything there worthwhile that I haven't saved or reposted already.

One of the most telling moments I always think of when I think of why I left Livejournal is the Great Blackout.  It said a lot about Six Apart's priorities when they were content to let the Putin administration in their home country shut down their entire site to silence political dissent until Time Magazine pointed this out to the rest of the world.  They truly didn't care about their users - they never refunded any subscribing users for the paid time lost during the Great Blackout; they dropped the user-participatory things like photo contests & the Writers Block to concentrate their home page on the insipid "ONTD" gossip circles; they started running obnoxious & frankly dangerous banner ads on the personal journals of people who couldn't subscribe; they'd start services like charity drives & games that would disappear in a blatant "take the money & run" action.  In short, Livejournal was bought out by a terrible, terrible company.

I'm sure that, so long as people who can't write words with more than three letters want to pseudo-snark about celebrities, Livejournal will be around; in fact, I predict that it will turn into ONTD outright & stop offering personal journals someday, viewing them as a drain much like Yahoo did with Geocities.  Which is fine - I seem to be behind the curve as far as ditching LJ.  But I was on there for over a decade, I had people I enjoyed reading & talking with, and I can't help but be a little nostalgic.

~Reasons to Be Miserable (Her Name is Mela) a.k.a. Lifetime Piling Up, 2002-2014.~
~There was a lot of ranting about cartoons. A LOT of ranting.~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magical Girl Obsession: Teeny Tiny Witch Hat Precure

Magical Girl Obsession: KiraKira Mew Mew...er, Precure

Ink and Paint: Thoughts on a Curious Fandom